Allergies from pet dander and fur can be a real nuisance for both humans and animals alike. If you live in the United Arab Emirates, allergies to pets can be especially difficult to manage due to the hot climate, which makes it hard to keep your environment allergen-free. But don’t worry; there are strategies you can employ to counter pet allergies so that everyone in your house stays healthy and happy.
If you’re allergic to pets, you’re not alone. While most people are allergic to cats and dogs, you can be allergic to any animal, including horses, birds, rodents and reptiles. Allergies to animals are caused by proteins in an animal’s skin cells, saliva or dander (flakes of dead skin). When these proteins come into contact with your nose, eyes or skin, they can cause an allergic reaction.
The good news is that there are ways to manage pet allergies and still enjoy the companionship of a furry friend. Here are some tips:
• If you’re considering getting a pet, choose one that doesn’t trigger your allergies. For example, if you’re allergic to dogs but not cats, get a cat instead of a dog.
• If you already have a pet but it’s triggering your allergies, try keeping it out of your bedroom and off furniture where you spend a lot of time. Vacuum regularly and use air filters to remove allergens from the air. Consider bathing your pet weekly to reduce allergens on its fur.
• If your symptoms are severe, you may need medication prescribed by a doctor to help control them. Allergy shots may also be an option for some people with severe allergies.
What is an allergy?
An allergy is a reaction of the body to a foreign substance, such as pollen, that it perceives as harmful. The body produces antibodies to fight off the allergen, and the allergic reaction is the result of the release of histamine and other chemicals by the body in an attempt to get rid of the allergen. Allergies can cause a variety of symptoms, including sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, itching, and rashes.
What are pet allergy symptoms?
Pet allergies are caused by an immune reaction to proteins found in an animal’s skin, saliva or urine. The symptoms of pet allergies can vary from person to person, but they usually include one or more of the following:
-Itchy, watery eyes
– Nasal congestion
-Skin rash or hives
If you think you might be allergic to your pet, it’s important to see a doctor so they can confirm the diagnosis and help you find the best way to manage your symptoms.
What are the causes of allergies to cats and dogs?
There are a number of different things that can cause an allergy to cats or dogs, and it is often difficult to pinpoint the exact allergen. Common allergens include dander, saliva, and urine. Other possible allergens include dust mites, pollen, and certain foods that the pet may be eating. If you suspect that you are allergic to your pet, it is important to see an allergist for skin or blood testing.
How to prevent pet allergies?
If you’re one of the many people in the UAE who suffer from allergies, you’re probably looking for ways to prevent them. Here are a few tips:
– Keep your pet clean and well-groomed. This will help reduce the amount of dander and other allergens that they shed. Bookmypet offers so many information regarding pet grooming services in Dubai, be sure to check them out at https://www.bookmypet.com/search/pet-grooming
– Vacuum regularly, and dust surfaces with a damp cloth. This will help remove any allergens that have settled on your furniture or floors.
– Keep your pet out of your bedroom, and if possible, out of the house altogether. If you must have them in the house, make sure they have their own room with a door that can be closed.
– Don’t let your pet sleep on your bed or furniture. Allergens from their fur can easily transfer to these surfaces and then to you when you come into contact with them.
– Consider using an air purifier in your home, especially if someone in your family suffers from asthma or another respiratory condition. This can help remove some of the allergens floating around in the air.
What are the possible solutions?
If you are allergic to your pet but still want to keep them, there are a few things you can do to minimize your symptoms.
1. Dietary Supplements – Though there is not enough scientific evidence to back up this point. However, certain herbs and nutritional supplements might help in minimizing the allergic reactions.
2. Allergy shots – There are doctors who do allergy shots in Dubai and the therapy is actually covered by a lot of health insurance providers. Allergy shots or immunotherapy help treat allergies by gradually building tolerance over time. Secondly, invest in an air purifier for your home and keep it running as often as possible, especially in the room where your pet spends the most time.
3. Medications – If your allergies are very sever then consult a doctor right-away. The doctor will run some tests and advice you medications accordingly so that your symptoms get better and decrease gradually.
4. Allergen removers – Try disinfecting your home with an allergen remover that is certified safe to use. Make sure the product you choose is non-toxic, fragrance-free and non-irritating. Make sure to clean any surfaces that come into contact with your pet frequently, such as their bedding and toys.
5. Pet grooming – Have your pet groomed regularly to reduce the amount of dander they shed. Besides, a well groomed pet is also a cleaner and happier pet. There are a lot of pet grooming services in Dubai, that you can avail look up online on https://www.bookmypet.com/search/pet-grooming
6. Home do’s and dont’s – there are also certain measure you can take at home to prevent allergies like :
- Invest in an air purifier for your home and keep it running as often as possible, especially in the room where your pet spends the most time. Try to get a High-efficiency particulate air cleaners – HEPA. These can help in reducing the allergen levels.
- Get High-efficiency vacuum cleaners.
- Ensure that you have good ventilation.
- Since weather in UAE can be a bit hot, try to keep your room temperature up to 20 Degrees Celsius.
- Try not to invest in heavy furnishings like tapestry, carpets, curtains and wallpapers. Try to choose light and breezy fabrics for these so that they are easy to clean and do not trap dust particles or pet hairs.
For more information you can look up for Pearls of the Emirates, which is a non-profit organization that is endorsed by the Alliance Françhaise. It is creating educational publications for the Dubai Municipality on animal welfare. Pearls of the Emirates through their special animal mascots drawn from the UAE’s environment, aims at educating and sensitizing children about environmental protection and animal welfare in UAE.